• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2ParaDoc.

Lifted off facebook.

Steven Hughes

2 hrs ·

Hi everyone, this is Amy, Steve’s daughter. I’m posting to let you all know that Dad passed away peacefully in his sleep yesterday afternoon.
    As some of you may know, he had been ill with liver disease for some months, and had spent the last month or so in the QE Hospital in Birmingham. On Wednesday, he was transferred to the Critical Care Unit so that they could support his breathing, and when I spoke to him that morning he was positive and upbeat, looking forward to getting some rest.
    The doctors gave him anaesthetic so that he could get a good sleep, but in the early hours of Friday morning he became very ill. We all stayed with him all day, and he had his family around him when the doctors withdrew life support. He looked very peaceful, and the doctors assured us that he couldn’t feel any pain.
    I know how well-loved he was, and I understand that many of you will want to write messages of condolence about his passing. I would like to keep this page up as a tribute to him, and ask that if you would like to write messages to us or about your memories of Dad that you post them here, rather than reaching out to us directly at this time. Rest assured that we will read the messages when we are able to, but particularly for his parents a flood of direct messages might be too overwhelming right now.
    I will be checking in on this page and will update you all with arrangements when they have been made.
    My dad was incredibly proud to have the friends he had. He was an amazing person – brave, and kind, and clever, and he stood strong against his illness until the very end. We were all lucky to have known him.
    As he would probably want me to say – “Illegitimi non carborundum”

Re: 2ParaDoc.

RIP ​Doc.

Comment

...just found out that club member Steve Hughes has died.

Smokey posted this on FB:

Some 2 PARA blokes who served with the Battalion in the Falklands may not have heard that sadly our MO Steve Steven Hughes passed away yesterday. Steve was suffering from kidney disease and matters took a really bad turn for the worse & he quickly lost his fight. There are many guys from the Battalion that are still living due to the great skills of this man & the medics who he trained. Rest In Peace 2PARA DOC.

That's very sad and a shock, I had the pleasure of spending a few hours in conversation with Steve at Brecon. A really nice guy.
      "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

RIP Doc..legend class of 82...
        HURRY UP AND WAIT

Comment

R.I.P. Doc.

Comment

RIP Steve

Comment

R.I.P. Doc.

Comment

RIP Steve
                Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

I am gutted - Steve was a legend in 2 Para - he came to us young and fresh almost straight out the doctor factory when we headed South - he was an amazing teacher, he was an amazing doc and he was a very special mentor and friend to me and many other medics who had the good fortune to work with him. When he left the NHS and went to Abu Dhabi he told me he refound his love of medicine because he was able to treat people without the bureaucracy getting in the way. I am glad he got to do that before passing - it feels like he only just had his sixtieth birthday!

Gone way too soon my friend - there is surely a very special seat in Valhalla waiting for you - rest easy Steve - condolences to The family he loved sp much.
                  I just don't understand why they won't shut the hell up while I practice my people skills....

Comment

R.I.P. Steve
                    Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

Originally posted by KevinMoran View Post
                      I am gutted - Steve was a legend in 2 Para - he came to us young and fresh almost straight out the doctor factory when we headed South - he was an amazing teacher, he was an amazing doc and he was a very special mentor and friend to me and many other medics who had the good fortune to work with him. When he left the NHS and went to Abu Dhabi he told me he refound his love of medicine because he was able to treat people without the bureaucracy getting in the way. I am glad he got to do that before passing - it feels like he only just had his sixtieth birthday!

Gone way too soon my friend - there is surely a very special seat in Valhalla waiting for you - rest easy Steve - condolences to The family he loved sp much.
                      Kev, he told me about the bureaucracy, and how his patients average age almost tripled when he joined the NHS.
                      "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

R.I.P. Doc

Comment

RIP Doc

Comment

An astonishing record of care. Amy and family can stand proud of Steve. Paras hold their medical people in the highest regard. History shows that parachute units from whatever country are normally thrown in at the deep end of conflict, Paras are warned not to expect the 'normal' care and evacuation if they are wounded, it is down to the field doctors like Steven to try their best top save life with the minimum of support and facilities, and from reports by 2 Para soldiers he did that outstandingly well and as has been said here already, there are men walking about today and enjoying their family lives due to the guts, dedication, and skill of Steve. Para medics are too busy trying to save lives to join the fight and for that reason they are held in awe by parachute soldiers, and Steve is at the forefront of that awe. God rest Steve, you are a credit to your family and your profession. RIP

Comment

RIP
                              2 Para Pal,6 plt B.Coy. Sounds good to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X