• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CYPRUS 1958

DAMAGE DONE BY AN EOKA IED,.
    Attached Files

Re: CYPRUS 1958

Is that an Austin Richard?
    "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Looks very similar to regular happenings on the Dhala road that lead up country from Aden. Soo-ap dodging twats were allus laying mines along the route.

Comment

Could have been the vehicle Tam Simpson (1 Para, RIP recently) was caught up in, but there were many

Comment

No Bedford ,Don .

Comment

Originally posted by paradrummer View Post
            No Bedford ,Don .
            Looks a bit different to the RL's...then again that could've been the IED.
            "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

Bedford 3 Tonner ? eh Para Drummer ?
              "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
              Me

Comment

Yes I am sure that's a Bedford , I think Des (Ginger) Boden R.I.P. was involved that. his son served in I PARA and is at Blackpool, regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by paradrummer View Post
                  Yes I am sure that's a Bedford , I think Des (Ginger) Boden R.I.P. was involved that. his son served in I PARA and is at Blackpool, regularly.
                  Des was a very good mate, got in, and out of one or two scrapes together. if it was the ambush Des was involved in he was not badly hurt. EOKA learned something about the Para mentality in one of those ambushes, not sure if it was Tams or not, but apparently if an ambush happened (IED or gunfire) most units in Cyprus dove for cover as their first IA. EOKA blew a truck of 1 Para off the road and three really pissed off blokes emerged and went tearing up the hills trying to locate the t**ts, firing at everything and anything, did'nt catch the c**ts but scared the living shit out of them. EOKA admitted in a book much later that they tried to avoid contact with Para units- 'dangerous'!

Comment

There were two TL's full of lads playing football crashed together.....lot of the lads were killed at the same time I remember from the gravewatch list.

Comment

Might be wrong here, but wasnt that picture one of the two TL's carrying the two football teams 2 PARA where 14 lads were killed in an RTA where they struck each other??
                      There were so many I know but it looks familiar with the recovery LAD in front

Pte Francis R Wood
                      Pte Philip Darbyshire
                      Pte Aubrey SJ Woodward
                      L/Cpl Derek Inwood
                      L/Cpl Derek Preston
                      Pte Edgar W Alexander
                      Pte George W Leatherland
                      L/Cpl Norman R Davies
                      Pte Norman Stanford
                      Pte Robert Matthews
                      Pte Walter D Odey
                      Pte Alfred Milton
                      Pte Francis Thomas Millard
                      Pte Joseph Duncan

Sad.............. but all the lads are now buried in Khayat Beach War Cemetery, Palestine.

RIP lads
                      Last edited by Gil; 30 April 2018, 15:49.

Comment

R.I.P.

Comment

They took us to some place and showed us what these IEDS that they put in the culverts looked like , very primitive , a large biscuit tin wired up to a long run of wire with a domestic light switch screwed to a piece of board .

Comment

Start clicking on a few of these and you begin to realise just how many blokes, in how many far flung places, This nation has lost

Last edited by trubrit2411; 1 May 2018, 21:01.
                            "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
                            Me

Comment

Working...
                            X