1.para bridge too far film 1976

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.para bridge too far film 1976

just dug this up,taken in Holland 1976,familiarization with our Dakota pre the six jumps we did for the film.
    all the lads in the photo were b.coy,i can name most of them.we got two cans of mckewens lager every time we jumped.
    roll call left too right:don monro,barry grey,john(monkey)Haworth,me(marty broughton),Johnno Johnson,kevin bowker,curt lidell,chunky Conway,jim gladas,paul Simmonds,tony Bennett,tony(Genghis)McCann climbing up steps,peirre esnee touching aircraft,lt.mcgimpsey looking out.
    lobbed us out at 95 knots,rock & rolled all over the place when we jumped,quite a few injuries overall,we thought the choice of d.z.was a bit iffy.

bridge too far film 1976.jpg
    Last edited by Don the Mod; 22 July 2017, 15:06.

Re: 1.para bridge too far film 1976

No pics
    I just don't understand why they won't shut the hell up while I practice my people skills....

Comment

Originally posted by downash View Post
      just dug this up,taken in Holland 1976,familiarization with our Dakota pre the six jumps we did for the film.
      all the lads in the photo were b.coy,i can name most of them.we got two cans of mckewens lager every time we jumped.
      roll call left too right:don monro,barry grey,john(monkey)Haworth,me(marty broughton),Johnno Johnson,kevin bowker,curt lidell,chunky Conway,jim gladas,paul Simmonds,tony Bennett,tony(Genghis)McCann climbing up steps,peirre esnee touching aircraft,lt.mcgimpsey looking out.
      lobbed us out at 95 knots,rock & rolled all over the place when we jumped,quite a few injuries overall,we thought the choice of d.z.was a bit iffy.
      Hi Downash, We trialed all of the Daks which were involved in Bridge Too Far over Everleigh DZ over a 2 week period. I dispatched on every sortie for the film in Holland and I am hoping that the 95 knot speed you are talking about was the aircraft flying speed and not the wind-speed on the DZ. On injuries, the film company promised to 'look after' any lads who were seriously injured (had to leave Para duties etc), I think there were a number of injuries (femurs etc) and when we (me at a pre jump meeting with the film company) asked about how lads would be 'taken care of' I got silence. Did you also do the jumps dressed as US Airborne? Looking forward to the picture when you can. Best wishes. Wig

Comment

Downash.....Always thought it was Support Company 1 Para that did the jumps for ABTF. You learn something everyday. Good pic mate.
        "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
        Me

Comment

yes a great picture i know a few o' the lads in the photo. is that tony conway ex c coy then hq coy in palace. served wi don monroe in c coy. dave williams and a bunch more. another photo for my collection.
          shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

sorry gents,this was only a random photograph I dug out,i believe 95 knots was the dispatching speed,not sure about ground speed.

Comment

The guy nearest the camera with his hands behind his back has a look of Smokey Lloyd RIP (1 Para boxer) probably wrong? Wig

Comment

Seen him box a few times Ron, good guy handled himself well. When I was an AIPT we got to see some bloody good bouts at the inter service competitions!
                Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

i remember we had to go down to the depot and do a mock exit from the Dakota,there was a team of raf observing.
                  I believe they were checking our height regarding the exit door.
                  those who were too tall didn't go to Holland to do the jumps,the px4s had the static line extra deployed through rubber bungee loops
                  on the back of the pack,so we cleared the tail plane.
                  lads from all coys went,with mainly c-coy doing the American jump scenes.
                  the army press was there so we all had our pictures taken,plus a writeup that were to be put in your local hometown paper.
                  after the days jumps,we had to do tabs & navexs,i think the purpose of that was to make it an exercise so they didn't have to pay us as extras.

Comment

I read a book a few years back written about the making of the film, can,t remember the title now but an interesting read and although largely featuring on the actors, 1 Para gorra gud mention n the part they played in its making. Kev Waterhouse got mentioned a few times.

Comment

Saw a film/news report on it years ago, they were interviewing some 1 PARA guys with black eyes, seems alcohol was involved. Her'e a film on the making of it, Robert Redford with a red machine on, have to say it's a better shape than some we see these days.

"We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

why was Robert Redford wearing Para Reg cap badge...thought he was playing Yanky airborne?
                        HURRY UP AND WAIT

Comment

What astonished me in that film (and others) was that the film company would turn up with a big van and proceed to feed scores of people out of the back of the van, and good meals at that. i used to check when the van had left to see if there was a hole leading to an underground kitchen. Met most of the people involved in the film, Redford was made up the lads had been knocking shit out of each other, thought it was 'typical airborne'. Also had a long chat with the US airborne general (was it Matt Taylor?) who was giving the film company advice, he was still gutted about what happened to the British at Arnhem all those years later. In a parachute landing sequence for Redford where he (playing the part of the general) broke his leg, he had to be hoisted on a crane to about 30' then lowered slowly as if a parachute landing, we heard that his agent had negotiated some $100k for Redford for the 'danger' in that sequence. Mind boggles. wig

Comment

not sure if my memory is correct gents,i seem to recall that lad Robert redford calls over with the shiner,was A-coy armourer.
                            some time later,he was killed out in Rhodesia in an ambush with mugabes lot.
                            might be wrong,just seem to link him with the two events

Comment

Working...
                            X