Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fine body of men..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fine body of men..

Rare photo this, not only caught me on camera, but also possibly the only time the greatcoat was worn since WW2. NFI on the ranges..jpg Note, the total lack of interest by all involved.
    I told myself that I should stop drinking, but I'm not about to listen to a drunk who talks to himself.

2. Likes taff, trubrit2411 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fine body of men..

Wore them on the Tower. How come you had that on ? lol and whats Engineers doing with Karl Gustavs. Where you blokes trained to fight as Infantry ? If push came to shove type situation ?
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trubrit2411 View Post
    Wore them on the Tower. How come you had that on ? lol and whats Engineers doing with Karl Gustavs. Where you blokes trained to fight as Infantry ? If push came to shove type situation ?
    absolutely Tone, trained for all eventualities. we could cover for everything, cooks, guards, sniffer dogs, anything. Of course we did find actual soldiering a bit annoying has it interfered with our partying.
    Last edited by stephenfrank; 20th May 2017 at 12:07.
    I told myself that I should stop drinking, but I'm not about to listen to a drunk who talks to himself.

5. Likes trubrit2411 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

when did the lads get there canadian wings? and what range were you on for a carl gustav practice. TPTP rounds or HEAT ?
    shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Post Thanks / Like

Bill.... Don't ask him technicalities FFS. lol He was probably rat assed drunk. Two mins after that was took he probably had the the black comb under his schnozz doing Heil Hitlers...... Or galloping around stark bollock naked.
    Me

8. Likes jim scott, stephenfrank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billy meikle View Post
    when did the lads get there canadian wings? and what range were you on for a carl gustav practice. TPTP rounds or HEAT ?
    no idea what range we were on mate, don't recall the occasion at all, but we got our Canadian wings Sept 75. a great tour, at the end we had a few days off, so me and The Cat and Chalkie, hitch-hiked down to Salt Lake City, then across to San Francisco, unfortunately the day we arrived the police went on strike, so it was a bit dodgy on the streets. we were running a bit late getting back so we climbed onto a flatbed (carrying cars) train carriage from S F to Seattle hobo style. In fact there was an old hobo already on there, had the shock of his life when 3 Bergen's closely followed by 3 idiots suddenly climbed on-board at a railway crossing. My favourite tour.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kin ell ! Never seen anybody in the Squadron wearing a greatcoat, looks like even old shippers has turned away in disgust. Could have been training for Brigade Weapons Week, remember that old chestnut, had to toddle round the Gobbins assault course, followed by a falling plate shoot, once some cretin broke the rear sight of my Bren, and I had to try and knock them off by fall of shot. Happy days !
    Bob (geordie) Watts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bob9739 View Post
    Kin ell ! Never seen anybody in the Squadron wearing a greatcoat, looks like even old shippers has turned away in disgust. Could have been training for Brigade Weapons Week, remember that old chestnut, had to toddle round the Gobbins assault course, followed by a falling plate shoot, once some cretin broke the rear sight of my Bren, and I had to try and knock them off by fall of shot. Happy days !
    I do look a bit like officer material there Bob, though I say so myself. Look like I've lost my map and trying to find my way to the Officers Mess.

12. Likes bob9739 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob....I think that Greatcoat is quite becoming. Stands out. Very Somme like. There is an ancestral magnificence to it. Sort of ......Redvers Buller in October.
    Me

14. Likes bob9739 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trubrit2411 View Post
    Bob....I think that Greatcoat is quite becoming. Stands out. Very Somme like. There is an ancestral magnificence to it. Sort of ......Redvers Buller in October.
    couldn't have put it better myself Tone.

16. Likes bob9739 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephenfrank View Post
    no idea what range we were on mate, don't recall the occasion at all, but we got our Canadian wings Sept 75. a great tour, at the end we had a few days off, so me and The Cat and Chalkie, hitch-hiked down to Salt Lake City, then across to San Francisco, unfortunately the day we arrived the police went on strike, so it was a bit dodgy on the streets. we were running a bit late getting back so we climbed onto a flatbed (carrying cars) train carriage from S F to Seattle hobo style. In fact there was an old hobo already on there, had the shock of his life when 3 Bergen's closely followed by 3 idiots suddenly climbed on-board at a railway crossing. My favourite tour.

when 1 para did their canada para jumps the excersise was called EX POND JUMP EAST brilliant tour right enough for us.under canvas for 4 months or so. found out the hard way i was allergic to black flies.

18. Likes stephenfrank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

when 1 para did their canada para jumps the excersise was called EX POND JUMP EAST brilliant tour right enough for us.under canvas for 4 months or so. found out the hard way i was allergic to black flies.
    We were somewhere near Calgary. Can't recall the flies but remember we were issued live rounds on the exercise in case of grizzly bear attacks. Only saw one in the distance.

20. Dislikes bob9739 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

.... we were issued live rounds on the exercise in case of grizzly bear attacks. Only saw one in the distance........

Did you shoot it?
    I just don't understand why they won't shut the hell up while I practice my people skills....

22. Likes stephenfrank liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KevinMoran View Post
    .... we were issued live rounds on the exercise in case of grizzly bear attacks. Only saw one in the distance........

Did you shoot it?
    would only shoot an animal for food Kev and we had plenty. Lots of people I wouldn't mind shooting but not animals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We were somewhere near Calgary. Can't recall the flies but remember we were issued live rounds on the exercise in case of grizzly bear attacks. Only saw one in the distance.
    That wasn't a black bear Steve, it was Rick Mogg. Pressed the wrong button on the likes and dislike thingy, now I know Im getting old !
    Bob (geordie) Watts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bob9739 View Post
    That wasn't a black bear Steve, it was Rick Mogg. Pressed the wrong button on the likes and dislike thingy, now I know Im getting old !
    it's too late Bob, the psychological damage has been done. I'm very upset.

26. Likes bob9739 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank feck for that, I didn't want to hurt you !
    Bob (geordie) Watts

Post Thanks / Like

edmonton is the place steve home of the canadian abn then now gone only a small unit of SF lads in the abn role although PPCLI have a ABN unit. we also had live rounds, we went on a map reading ex, at that time we dug in and built the so called hides,yeah right left our rations in bergans in the hide came back and the black bears had raided the hides and ate or destroyed some food. we kicked of the tour at base gagetown in new brunswick. hope to visit the area again sometime.C COY LINES PETERSVILLE CAMP OROMOCTO CANADA 1970.jpgCANADA EX POND JUMP EAST 1970.jpgcanada loading the bergan pre-exercise pond jump east 1970.jpgCANADA 1970 GEORGIOU AND BRAD 1970.jpga couple of pics from in and around OROMOCTO.
    Last edited by billy meikle; 24th May 2017 at 18:47.

29. Likes stephenfrank, bob9739 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill the last picture was of interest a friend served with him and to this day said he was a nutter
    Attached Images Attached Images

BAFC Verification Officer Don the Mod's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Billy, thought the bod in that last pic was familiar. Do you remember Jon (Jock) Hansard, he told me GC was totally bonkers. On the way to the Roundabout club one night he disappeared and turned up later in the club. There was a table full of WRAC and pulled a dead moggy from inside his jacket and lobbed into the middle of their table. They went nuts.
    "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Post Thanks / Like

i worked with cg he was a good friend of mine i must admit he did not like cats or dogs, he dispatched quite a few in the murph and whiterock area.. the photo of him as a merc holding a M1 carbine not M2 fuuckingg media.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have a method of dispatching moggie so with half bricks, but throwing them in the middle of a table full of WRACS does tend to make life interesting. Must remember that for the future!
    Bob (geordie) Watts

Post Thanks / Like

Just adding ta the pussy count I reckon!

Post Thanks / Like

Using my technology I found this clip which only a few people have seen.
    7 Para RHA last parade at Aldershot 2003

36. Likes stephenfrank, treeman, bob9739 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack; are you sure that wasn't 2005 or 2006? I was at the last do they had in Lille Barracks before going to Colchester, and that was after 2003.

I couldn't make out most of the conversation but I caught the reference to Angola. I knew Pete M in Hereford and recently at a funeral of an ex 7RHA lad in Darlington, I met a lad who was on that trip. He was ex 216 Para Sigs but I can't remember his name. He also ended up in C Squadron with Pete.
    Last edited by treeman; 26th May 2017 at 23:18.

Airborne Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackw102 View Post
    Thanks Bill the last picture was of interest a friend served with him and to this day said he was a nutter
    'Callan' as he called himself (colonel no less) was a f***ing idiot 1st class. I had him on his para course at Abingdon and he pulled a knife on one of his platoon during the Sally army break. I sent him packing back to PCAU but the Major in charge asked that he be kept on his course and they would 'deal with him'. Next I heard he was out doing mercenary shit in Angola (or Congo?) and had executed a number of his own blokes because they were apparently not happy with his leadership or the kit they had o do the job and wanted out. They were captured by the army and put on trial, sentenced to be shot. i knew a number of the lads who went out to fight with them not least Brummy Barker who was a drinking mate along with Mick Lee and others. Apparently after the firing squad Brummy was still alive and sat up, to be shot in the head by an officer. Callan (or Costas Georgeiu) should have been sorted long before this shit, but how many times ahve we heard that before? I think Pet McAleese (1 Para & 22) was sent out to sort 'Callan' but if memory serves he got there too late. Oddly a film called 'Gunman' was on the box a few nights ago, set ion the Congo, the name Peter McAleese cropped up as an adviser on the movie. Small world. Wig

39. Likes stephenfrank, trubrit2411, treeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i heard that cg was champian recruit maybe bs.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=treeman;175656]Jack; are you sure that wasn't 2005 or 2006? I was at the last do they had in Lille Barracks before going to Colchester, and that was after 2003.
    Definitely 2003

42. Likes treeman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by standinthedoor View Post
    'Callan' as he called himself (colonel no less) was a f***ing idiot 1st class. I had him on his para course at Abingdon and he pulled a knife on one of his platoon during the Sally army break. I sent him packing back to PCAU but the Major in charge asked that he be kept on his course and they would 'deal with him'. Next I heard he was out doing mercenary shit in Angola (or Congo?) and had executed a number of his own blokes because they were apparently not happy with his leadership or the kit they had o do the job and wanted out. They were captured by the army and put on trial, sentenced to be shot. i knew a number of the lads who went out to fight with them not least Brummy Barker who was a drinking mate along with Mick Lee and others. Apparently after the firing squad Brummy was still alive and sat up, to be shot in the head by an officer. Callan (or Costas Georgeiu) should have been sorted long before this shit, but how many times ahve we heard that before? I think Pet McAleese (1 Para & 22) was sent out to sort 'Callan' but if memory serves he got there too late. Oddly a film called 'Gunman' was on the box a few nights ago, set ion the Congo, the name Peter McAleese cropped up as an adviser on the movie. Small world. Wig
    J. Banks was the culprit in all that, as he was the recruiter.
    My dad was in Angola with Col Tuck at the time, (their office overlooking the Military instillation or jail) and they took it in turns taking food to the lads.
    Terry Castles was Bank's bodyguard at one stage (Terry being ex 1 para) but saw the light to an extent, and went his own way until he was approached by banks (down at the farm) as it was known by MI
    and set him up with mineral writes in Angola, but had to hand them over in Zaire, but clocked everything as soon as he got off the aircraft and noticed the secret squirrels.
    A long story, but was arrested without the papers (because he got rid of them as soon as he opened the seals, and found they were Coup plans.
    He was imprisoned for 6 months, but when he got out by chance through the red cross) and arrived back in GB, he was arrested for murder of some 2 month prior.
    My time in Angola was after that time, and was a more.................relaxing time, if Africa was relaxing lol.
    Strange hey?
    Last edited by HappyJack; 27th May 2017 at 17:38.
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam
    A Great Civilization is not Conquered from without
    Until it has destroyed itself from within
    W.Durant

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

edmonton is the place steve home of the canadian abn then now gone only a small unit of SF lads in the abn role although PPCLI have a ABN unit. we also had live rounds, we went on a map reading ex, at that time we dug in and built the so called hides,yeah right left our rations in bergans in the hide came back and the black bears had raided the hides and ate or destroyed some food. we kicked of the tour at base gagetown in new brunswick. hope to visit the area again sometime.C COY LINES PETERSVILLE CAMP OROMOCTO CANADA 1970.jpgCANADA EX POND JUMP EAST 1970.jpgcanada loading the bergan pre-exercise pond jump east 1970.jpgCANADA 1970 GEORGIOU AND BRAD 1970.jpga couple of pics from in and around OROMOCTO.
    happy days mate.

Thread Information