Uncle Roland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncle Roland

Have an Uncle (my Dads younger brother) who did his National Service with the Pioneer Corp and then did some TA time with both the RA and the Parachute Regiment (in Bradford) He served with 2 Para in Aden etc and tells me lots of stories from back then when we meet. My Dad gave me a few pictures of his brothers early days with the pioneers which turns out he was not half a bad shot, thought you might like a look and maybe some of you could tell me anything about the trophy's he won?roland Winn1.jpgRolan Winn.jpgRoland Winn.jpgfreedom of city (Bradford) 249 Rgt RA.jpg

Re: Uncle Roland

What I do recognise Tas is the thirteen studs in the boots, the same for us in 59 when I first went to Maida.
    God made Para's to give Marines someone to look up to and worship.

Comment

I bet tha noticed a big difference Tug when they changed to DMS. Bi like marching on a field o bare tits!

Comment

When troops were marching on the gravel square you could hear the crunching of hob nailed boots that was real drill we even had to bull the insole between the heel and studs happy days

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
          Have an Uncle (my Dads younger brother) who did his National Service with the Pioneer Corp and then did some TA time with both the RA and the Parachute Regiment (in Bradford) He served with 2 Para in Aden etc and tells me lots of stories from back then when we meet. My Dad gave me a few pictures of his brothers early days with the pioneers which turns out he was not half a bad shot, thought you might like a look and maybe some of you could tell me anything about the trophy's [ATTACH=CONFIG]8939[/ATTACH]
          if it helps this one was not the 9mm falling plates....
          I just don't understand why they won't shut the hell up while I practice my people skills....

Comment

great photos taz love the old photos the more the merrier even a few craphats can shoot
            shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

Nice 3-03 rifles and 25 Lb guns.

Comment

Good post Tony, pity we don't have National Service now, it would give a lot of kids a purpose and a lot of National Servicemen actually went on into Regular service afterwards. And it also meant that in cases of emergency, there was a pot of blokes that could be recalled if needed. Z men I believe they were called, anybody who can confirm that ?
                Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Ive seen X men Bob..., If there are also Z men then I would assume there are also Y men..., however it could be a cunning ruse like 1St and 6th Airborne DIvs?
                  HURRY UP AND WAIT

Comment

I know they had Z cars!Perhaps they would be dragged into service in an emergency,leaving the cops on foot!

Comment

The Z Men were an Australian force, look here....https://www.awm.gov.au/exhibitions/u...ilise/zmen.asp
                      Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

They sounded more like Scousers on telly when I was a kid,must've been really good actors for Australians!Mind you I should've known they weren't real Scousers,as those blue and white cars always had all their wheels!

Comment

Originally posted by billy meikle View Post
                          great photos taz love the old photos the more the merrier even a few craphats can shoot
                          ha that was what I thought and was in two minds weather anybody would be interested Billie. He did go on to serve in 2 Para so he got something right

Comment

Originally posted by KevinMoran View Post
                            if it helps this one was not the 9mm falling plates....
                            He was the Sgt nearest the camera in this picture and he told me they got the charge wrong and blew out the windows across the park in Bradford

Comment

carrying on with my Uncle Roland, he did his parachute course in the 60's at Abingdon and met his wife who was the daughter of the man charged with setting up the parachute training school at Ringwood (called Killkenny's circus after him) few old pics from back then, Killkenny is 4th from the left.kilkenny2.jpgkilkenny3.jpgkilkenny4.jpgkilkenny5..jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X