Clear All

Re: A cave too far

Dived up at The Great Barrier Reef once....unbelievable
    Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

Originally posted by Forever Young View Post
      lot of scallops there mate. In fact people often say, "what a load of scallops"
      I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

That's what John the poet said too,unbelievable!Unless you happen to have the photos to back up your lie!

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Harley View Post
          That's what John the poet said too,unbelievable!Unless you happen to have the photos to back up your lie!
          Afraid not just a good memory of clear blue water and a multitude of fish and huge groupers
          Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

Dived in the North Sea the other year n apart from freezin ta dee-ath tha cud see fukk all!

Comment

Especially in your kecks when you came out of that cold sea!

Comment

Moor fukkin skidders than Brans Hatch!

Comment

I have heard its incredible around Oz....but ain't that where divers and surfers get put on the menu quite often.

See thats what you have to dive, Reefs and rock formations. I thought I was going to get that here. I was dead disappointed. Sandy bottom and petty well lifeless inshore. No rock formations or very few. There are kelp beds.... but all you can do is fin around the outside unless you wanna go in and get cocooned in the stuff. Which is what dumb fook me did. I went in one time only, I followed a small shark, and was immediately in trouble. Tried not to panic but checked me contents gauge and did not have much left so got a bit worried, as in heart beat went right up which as Don well tell you makes you suck in more.
                  Every time I tried to get to the edge of this stuff more and more wrapped me and I was only about twelve feet in. So after about ten minutes, quelling the panic, wrapped up like a mummy and scared to move more, it dawned on me that the way out was ^ in a straight line. So after working me knife loose and working up me wet suit cutting it all off, I just finned about fifty feet straight up to the surface and across the top until I was out.

The Yank I was diving with was blissfully pottering around still. Nothing like checking your buddy every fifteen seconds. Not that he could have helped, or that would have been two of us stuck in there. Then the bloke in the local dive shop sez "Kelp ? Oh yeah Limey I meant to warn you about that stuff. You don't go in it" Well I did and you would have thought I would have known better.
                  Last edited by trubrit2411; 23 October 2016, 18:34.
                  "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
                  Me

Comment

learned to dive when i was living in belfast 1975 did my BSAC at antrim cold dark 4 ft visibilityDSC06140.jpg.... glad i learned there. dived a lot in queensland barrier reef, moreton bay and numerous beaches around the gold coast. my best dive site so far is st.croix in the virgin islands awesome two dives for 6o bucks. and the particular site is called ALIEN NATION well named follow the anchor rope 70 ft or so you hit the bottom look around you it is like being in a auditorium surrounded by giant sea ferns and multi coloured coral and numerous species of fish..... awesome place to dive.....would love to live there, and may still do. and the shark was following us but no probs
                    shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

Just a Nurse shark by the look of it Bill,give you a nasty suck,but that's about it.As you say diving over here prepares you for anywhere else in the world,with cold waters and short on vis,unless you go up to the north coast,where the vis is like the Caribbean.I've lost count of the people who've gone out to The Maldives,or other exotic locations,and learned to dive,then come home,bought all the gear,and done a dive in Strangford Lough or similar.That one dive is usually enough,and they quickly sell the gear,at a loss,or it sits in the garage for years,with the intention of going out again,before selling it,at an even bigger loss!

Comment

Where is that North Coast Pat ?
                        "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
                        Me

Comment

The north coast of Northern Ireland,where the water is gin clear,and there are many WW11 wrecks,sunk by the wolf packs.One in particular is a large tanker with dozens of Shermans as deck cargo.Keep meaning to go up there,but never got round to it yet,apart from a small shore dive halfway up the east coast on a small wreck,sunk in a storm in 1915,a left over Victorian sailing sloop in RN use still,which was a good clear vis dive,compared to the blackout conditions here!

Comment

learned to dive in Thumrait in Oman, about 80 k from the Indian Ocean we used to do all the training in the pool or classrooms then visit the coast at w/e's.
                            Indian Ocean was great to dive and after that never really wanted to dive in the uk. As you all say the vis and temperature plus the varied dive sights made it brilliant.My first open water dive Oman 87-1.jpg my first ever dive, grin from ear to ear. This was at Mirbat.

Comment

Think I deffo missed out on summat ere by concentrating all me efforts on muff diving?

Comment

doubt it Dave, you got it sooooooooooooooooooooo right mate, taken me years to catch up

Comment

Working...
                                X