Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Jolly

Falklands surgeon Rick Jolly OBE has crossed the bar RIP

Last edited by jackw102; 13 January 2018, 18:07.

Re: Rick Jolly

Lifted from FB...

"Surgeon-Captain Richard Jolly OBE, this morning has sadly passed away.

I was a mere teenager during The Falklands Conflict, but extremely privileged to have been taught by the best of the best in future years and have many friends who fought to help secure the islands at a high physical and mental cost.

I have read many things about Rick Jolly and his amazing dedication to preserving life on all sides of the conflict...

Amazing man may you rest in peace Sir."

"We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

R.I.P. Rick.

Comment

RIP.
        Honoured by both sides in 82
        HURRY UP AND WAIT

Comment

More detail from FB...

It is with Great Regret and Sadness that I must Inform you that Surgeon Captain Rick Jolly passed away in his sleep this morning. Sue his wife is obviously deva...stated. His friends don't know if there will be a private or public farewell to this great man, Truly Heart Breaking

Surgeon-Captain Richard Jolly OBE is a former Royal Navy medical officer who served in the 1982 Falklands War and was later decorated by both the British and Argentine governments for his distinguished conduct during the conflict. He still practising and giving lectures to medical establishments on his experiences. He is a co-founder, with Denzil Connick, of the South Atlantic Medal Association formed in 1997

As Officer Commanding Medical Squadron of the Commando Logistic Regiment Royal Marines, Jolly was Senior Medical Officer of 3 Commando Brigade RM and commanded the field hospital at Ajax Bay. The facilities at Ajax Bay were set up in an old refrigeration plant which was situated next to an ammunition dump, as those were the only roofed buildings available of any size fit for purpose. Therefore, due to its position, Brigadier Julian Thompson ordered they were not to paint a Red Cross on the buildings to highlight the hospital due to the terms of the Geneva Convention.

The conditions in the field hospital were poor and despite the dirt, poor lighting, air attacks and the presence of two unexploded bombs, only 3 of the 580 British soldiers and marines wounded in action were to die of their wounds and none while under the care of Dr Jolly.

Jolly wrote the book The Red and Green Life Machine about his experiences. and he is the only serviceman to be decorated by both sides after the conflict, being awarded an OBE (Military Division) from the UK and the Orden de Mayo (Order of May) - awarded to "foreigners who distinguish themselves by service or personal achievement, or who have gained the nation's gratitude" - from Argentina.

When visiting Argentina in 1998, Jolly had sent ahead a list of Argentine casualties and asked the authorities there what had become of them. As a result, the Argentine Foreign Ministry discovered the truth about the battlefield medical care of their wounded by the British during the conflict and invited over fifty of them to a ceremony in Buenos Aires, where Dr Jolly was appointed as an Oficial (Officer) in the Order of May in recognition of his outstanding work in saving the lives of many wounded Argentine soldiers and airmen.

Being a foreign decoration, Jolly had to write to Her Majesty the Queen for permission to wear his Order of May award with his other medals, to which she personally authorised him to wear the award "on all occasions" on behalf of the three hundred British Naval, Royal Marines and Army medics involved in the war.

Jolly also featured and was extensively interviewed in the TV documentary Falklands Combat Medics, which concentrated primarily on the work and role played by the Field Hospital based at Ajax Bay. With Denzil Connick, he campaigned for the recognition of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder for all Falkland veterans in aid of the South Atlantic Medal Association
          "We're surrounded on all sides... Good... you're obviously in the right place".

Comment

rest in peace sir.
            shankhill rd to the battle school " carpe diem"

Comment

RIP ​Sir.

Comment

R.I.P. Rick
                Ian Russell - Still 2 Fighting Fit Downunder

Comment

Rest In Peace Rick - a life well lived with many owing their own lives to you - condolences to his wife and family
                  I just don't understand why they won't shut the hell up while I practice my people skills....

Comment

RIP
                    2 Para Pal,6 plt B.Coy. Sounds good to me.

Comment

R.I.P. Rick.

Comment

RIP Sir.
                        "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
                        Me

Comment

R.I.P.Sir!

Comment

R.I.P Sir.

Comment

Working...
                            X