No announcement yet.

Falklands Memories

Collapse
X
Collapse
  •  

• Falklands Memories

Falklands Memories

To the left is Ex 2 Para Nigel Rowlands and his best friend L/Cpl Kevin Roberts Ex Welsh Guards.

Robert was injured during the Falklands War on the Ship Galahad in 1982. His friend Nigel Rowlands took care of him and the pair have remained life long fiends. Both Nigel and Kevin are from Bangor in North Wales. If any old mates want to make contact with them they can via this site or they can be found most days having the odd pint in the Angels Bar in Bangor.

Thanks for sending us this picture.

A Look Back at the Falklands

The following story was reproduced with kind permission of Dezil Connick: from "The News 15 Years On Falklands" to mark the 15th Anniversary of the war. we are now 21 years down the line, but for some the memory is still extremely clear.

May we also take this opportunity to remember all those who lost their lives, during the Falklands War.

Although no longer with us, you may be gone, but Never Forgotten.

Former Para Trooper Denzil Connick can remember the Falklands War as thought it was only yesterday. "The events were so dramatic and so horrifying that they seem like they have only just happened,’ said Denzil. "Many of my friends cannot talk about what happened during the conflict. They keep it all bottled up inside and that is not healthy. "I have found that by talking about my experiences I exorcise of lot of the bad feelings I had, I don’t believe in all this stiff-upper-lip nonsense." Denzil was 26 when he boarded the Canberra at Southampton to set sail for the Falklands. He returned two months later. His left leg had been blown off and his right leg badly mutilated during a mortar attack the day before the cease-fire. He recalled: "There was a lot of pomp and ceremony as we left Southampton.

As we boarded the ship, the Parachute Regiment Band and the Band of the Royal marines played. All our families were there, flying flags and waving us off. ‘As the ship sailed away, we could see people lining the coastal roads in their cars, flashing their lights and beeping their horns, but as the coastline disappeared the mood on the ship changed. "It went very quiet and thoughtful. My thoughts were "Will I ever see Britain again? Will I be coming back?". Denzil was a lance corporal in the 3rd Battalion Parachute Regiment as he set off to fight in the Falklands. He had been in the army since he was just 15 years old. He said: ‘As we sailed towards Ascension Island, the soldiers aboard the ship spent every minute practising their military skills and getting their fitness up to scratch. We still weren’t sure that we would actually see any action. The feeling was that we would probably just arrive and the diplomats would have sorted it out. "But then we heard that the Belgrano had been sunk and we knew there was no going back now. It was a huge Argentinian Ship and an extreme danger to our task force. I would have no doubts at all that we had to sink it. It was a case of us or them." Denzil was on of the first Para’s ashore landing at Port San Carlos on May 21, 1982.

The landing was largely unopposed, although a British helicopter was shot down by enemy soldiers. "The crew were shot dead by Argentinian soldiers as they swam in the water,’ said Denzil, ‘This absolutely incensed 3rd Para Regiment.’ Together 3 Para and 42 Commandos secured the whole area, and then began to advance across the islands. They took the northern route, marching 80 miles across the most difficult terrain imaginable. ‘The weather was atrocious. We were only wearing light fighting gear and we had no sleeping bags or tens, yet the conditions were Antarctic. It was a severe test for our field craft skills just to survive the conditions, let alone fight as well,’ said Dezil. ‘And the whole time we could see our ships being attacked from the air by enemy fighting aircraft. Surprisingly thought, morale remained high. We wanted to just get the job finished because weather conditions were worsening by the day. ‘Our resolve was strengthened when we heard that we had lost HMS Coventry, and that the Atlantic Conveyor and Sir Galahad had been nit,’ he added. The 3 Paras’ main battle was to be for Mount Longdon.

They were planning a ‘silent attack’. The aim was to surprise the enemy. ‘Things went wrong though when on of the lads stepped on a landmine which blew his foot off. This gave the enemy vital minutes’ notice that we were on our way. ’All bloody hell broke loose. It was dark and there was smoke everywhere, men screaming and explosions all around. ‘It was utter chaos and very frightening. We were fighting with our bayonets, just as in the second world war. The battle lasted 12 hours. We hadn’t slept or eaten for 36 hours and the only ting keeping us going was adrenaline. ‘Finally the battle was won and as duck came it was an eerie sight. It was misty and smoky and there were mutilated bodies lying everywhere. It was a sight I will never forget.’ The 3 Paras were then bombarded with mortars and bombs from enemy soldiers in positions around Stanley. On June 13 the day before the Argentinians surrendered Denzil and two other Paras were hit by a mortar bomb.

His tow colleagues were killed. Denzil lost his left leg and his other leg seriously injured. He was flown to a field hospital in an army helicopter and then taken aboard the hospital ship Uganda. He stayed there for four weeks and once back in Britain spent another six months in hospital. He has no doubts at all that Britain had to defend the Falklands, but he was disappointed with the treatment he received as he was medically discharged from the services. ‘I received no help re-adjusting to civvy street. Its hard enough when you’re fit and leaving the services, but when you are crippled too, its very hard to handle.’

Denzil now lives in Wales with his wife and family. He is a case worker for SSAFA and is also involved with SAMA. (South Atlantic Medal Association) This is an organisation set up to help support those who served in the Falklands War.

Please Click Here to view The SAMA Web Site.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2parapal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	454327

Click image for larger version

Name:	denzil.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	454328

Posting comments is disabled.

Latest Articles