Red Rum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Rum

Red Rum (bay gelding] 3 May 1965 - 18 October 1995.
    Birthplace. Rossemara Stud, County Kilkenny, Ireland.
    Owner, Noel Le Mare.
    Trainer, Ginger McCain.
    His first race a five furlong sprint
    winning at Liverpool, take the hint
    then three two milers in '69
    longer distance suiting him fine

'70, '71, a drop in form
    a little reluctant to perform
    his owner putting him up for sale
    foot trouble, not much avail

Noel Le Mare told McCain
    for 7000 guiness he's yours to train
    Ginger purchased for a little less
    so starts unbelievable success

The feet cured by the Irish sea
    McCain became a confident trustee
    not a hint of troubled feet
    McCain produced a great athlete

Three Grand Nationals a Scots one too
    a superb achievment by McCain and crew
    when Rummy died he was laid to rest
    at the finishing post he sure knew best

clik

Here is a tribute to Red Rum. England's priceless treasure. A horse who defied all thought by winning three Grand Nationals in five years(the other two he ...
    Last edited by johnb; 16 April 2016, 11:30.

Re: Red Rum

Grand National record

The crowd are willing him home now. The 12-year-old Red Rum, being preceded only by loose horses, being chased by Churchtown Boy... They're coming to the elbow, just a furlong now between Red Rum and his third Grand National triumph! It's hats off and a tremendous reception, you've never heard one like it at Liverpool - Red Rum wins the National!

Commentator Peter O'Sullevan describes the moment Red Rum sealed his third Grand National title[15]
    At the 1973 Grand National, Red Rum beat the Australian chaser Crisp, which was carrying 23 pounds more, in a new record time of nine minutes, 1.9 seconds.[16] Crisp led the field virtually all the way in that year's National in which he was 30 lengths clear, and at the last fence was 15 lengths clear of Red Rum, his nearest pursuer. Red Rum and jockey Brian Fletcher, however, made up the ground on the final stretch and, two strides from the finishing post, pipped the tiring Crisp to win by three-quarters of a length in what is often considered one of the greatest Grand Nationals in history.[4][5] Crisp's jockey Richard Pitman later stated: "I still dream about that race, of Crisp running so strongly and jumping so fearlessly, and then the sound of Red Rum's hooves as he got closer and closer at the end."[17] He added: "I felt as though I was tied to a railway line with an express train thundering up and being unable to jump out of the way."[18] A year later, Red Rum retained his title at the 1974 National, carrying 12 stone.[19] (He followed that with victory in the Scottish Grand National, and remains the only horse to win both in the same season.)
    Red Rum came second in 1975 and 1976; Tommy Stack replaced Fletcher as jockey in the last race after Fletcher angered trainer Ginger McCain by telling the press the horse no longer felt right after a defeat in a race away from Aintree. Again, Red Rum saved his best for Aintree but was held off by Rag Trade. The following year, Stack rode the 12-year-old Red Rum to his record third Grand National triumph, in what is regarded as one of the greatest moments in horse racing history.[14][16]

Last edited by trubrit2411; 17 April 2016, 18:58.
    "If they control your speech.....they control your life"
    Me

Comment

Came from 30 lengths behind to win the Grand National. Here is a movie begging to be made. What an animal was this Red Rum

They made a movie about an Australian Horse in the twenties called Phar Lap. Which was actually Thai for lightning. He got nobbled at Del Mar by the Mafia. He was unbeatable and costing them too much divvy.

They could do a similar film with Red Rum. In fact they should. It would be a world beater I think if they made it right.

What horse.....
      Last edited by trubrit2411; 17 April 2016, 19:13.
      Me

Comment

Comment

And of course MURDER spelt backwards
          I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Actually he is named after the last three letters of his Dam (Mared) and his Sire (Quorum).

Red Rum the murder bit....don't that come from "A Clockwork Orange" ?
            Me

Comment

Think it was the Shining mate. Along with "Heeeeerrrrreeeeessss!!! Johnny"
              Last edited by stephenfrank; 18 April 2016, 06:22.
              I have always set myself a very low standard, and constantly fail to achieve it.

Comment

Thats right....The Shining lol
                Me

Comment

Originally posted by stephenfrank View Post
                  And of course MURDER spelt backwards
                  knew I was a dim bastard, I never spotted that !
                  Bob (geordie) Watts

Comment

Thank you all for the added info

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

As the first commenter sez, "Best Horse Racing film ever made"
                      Last edited by trubrit2411; 24 April 2016, 18:37.
                      Me

Comment

Originally posted by trubrit2411 View Post
                        Grand National record

The crowd are willing him home now. The 12-year-old Red Rum, being preceded only by loose horses, being chased by Churchtown Boy... They're coming to the elbow, just a furlong now between Red Rum and his third Grand National triumph! It's hats off and a tremendous reception, you've never heard one like it at Liverpool - Red Rum wins the National!

Commentator Peter O'Sullevan describes the moment Red Rum sealed his third Grand National title[15]
                        At the 1973 Grand National, Red Rum beat the Australian chaser Crisp, which was carrying 23 pounds more, in a new record time of nine minutes, 1.9 seconds.[16] Crisp led the field virtually all the way in that year's National in which he was 30 lengths clear, and at the last fence was 15 lengths clear of Red Rum, his nearest pursuer. Red Rum and jockey Brian Fletcher, however, made up the ground on the final stretch and, two strides from the finishing post, pipped the tiring Crisp to win by three-quarters of a length in what is often considered one of the greatest Grand Nationals in history.[4][5] Crisp's jockey Richard Pitman later stated: "I still dream about that race, of Crisp running so strongly and jumping so fearlessly, and then the sound of Red Rum's hooves as he got closer and closer at the end."[17] He added: "I felt as though I was tied to a railway line with an express train thundering up and being unable to jump out of the way."[18] A year later, Red Rum retained his title at the 1974 National, carrying 12 stone.[19] (He followed that with victory in the Scottish Grand National, and remains the only horse to win both in the same season.)
                        Red Rum came second in 1975 and 1976; Tommy Stack replaced Fletcher as jockey in the last race after Fletcher angered trainer Ginger McCain by telling the press the horse no longer felt right after a defeat in a race away from Aintree. Again, Red Rum saved his best for Aintree but was held off by Rag Trade. The following year, Stack rode the 12-year-old Red Rum to his record third Grand National triumph, in what is regarded as one of the greatest moments in horse racing history.[14][16]

thank you trubrit

Comment

Working...
                        X